2nd Ave vs Lexington Ave for cycling downtown NYC – which is better?



Is 2nd Avenue or Lexington Avenue better for cycling downtown in Manhattan from the Queensboro Bridge? I’ve put together two clips in split video to help you make a decision. I ride both routes to 1st Street (but need to turn left on 22nd street on the Lexington Avenue route since that’s where it ends).

2nd Avenue route is on the top and Lexington Avenue route is on the bottom.

2nd Avenue has a bike lane throughout the entire route but there are many dangers which make it hazardous. In addition, you have to deal with traffic merging to and from the Queens-Midtown tunnel.

Lexington Avenue has no bike lane but avoids most of the Queens-Midtown tunnel traffic and dangers from pedestrians. However, getting to Lexington Avenue is one block and one & 1/2 avenues out of the way.

Apologies about the 2nd Avenue footage on a rainy day, it was the only opportunity I had to grab video during the morning rush hour.

Music Credits:

Tobu & Marcus Mouya – Running Away [NCS Release]

Tobu – Infectious [NCS Release]

Tobu & Syndec – Dusk [NCS Release]

Tobu – Seven [NCS Release]

Tobu – Life [NCS Release]

Tobu – Mesmerize [NCS Release]

Tobu & Itro – Sunburst [NCS Release]

Tobu – Candyland [NCS Release]

NCS
➞ Twitch http://twitch.tv/nocopyrightsounds
➞ Spotify http://spoti.fi/NCS
➞ SoundCloud http://soundcloud.com/nocopyrightsounds
➞ Facebook http://facebook.com/NoCopyrightSounds
➞ Twitter http://twitter.com/NCSounds
➞ Google+ http://google.com/+nocopyrightsounds
➞ Instagram http://instagram.com/nocopyrightsounds_

Tobu
➞ Facebook https://www.facebook.com/tobuofficial
➞ SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/7obu
➞ Twitter https://twitter.com/tobuofficial
➞ YouTube https://www.youtube.com/user/tobuoffi…

Marcus Mouya
➞ Facebook https://www.facebook.com/MarcusMouya
➞ SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/marcusmouyaoff…
➞ Instagram http://instagram.com/marcusmouya

Syndec
➞ SoundCloud https://soundcloud.com/syndec
➞ Facebook https://www.facebook.com/OfficialSyndec

Follow Itro:
http://www.facebook.com/officialitro


source

6 comments

  1. I appreciate your creativity on this subject on riding the two avenues but it's a little hard to watch two screens at the same time. Keep up the good work otherwise man.. and stay safe always

  2. hello, I live in The Netherlands. It is very interesting to see how you are biking through all motorised traffic, I would be terrified. A one way biking trip to school for me is about 15 miles. Out of the 15 miles I can bike on a seperated bicycle highway (not lines, seperated from the car road) for about 90% of the trip. The other 10% is quite calm and not much cars.

  3. I do not see much of the 2nd Avenue bike lane here. Aside from a few blocks near the UN and a firestation near 42nd, 2nd Avenue is pretty good for an on-street gutter bikelane, with co-ordinated car-left-turn and bicycles-straight-ahead traffic signals.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *